Re: Working on rails 4 support

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 04:15:52PM -0400, Caitlin Matos wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On 10/08/14 05:32 PM, Antonio Terceiro wrote:
> >Hi Caitlin,
> >
> >On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 02:54:46PM -0400, Caitlin Matos wrote:
> >>Hi Antonio,
> >>
> >>What can I do to help at this point?
> >
> >At this point, the only missing piece in unstable is ruby-sdoc which is
> >waiting in NEW; everything is already in.
> >
> >>Note that I've not used Rails much, so I don't know how helpful I can be.
> >>However, I'd like to help where I can, since this is a huge block in
> >>updating/fixing other packages!
> >
> >I don't think there is anything blocked by rails at this point. Would
> >you say there is?
>
> Let me rephrase that: Rails (or lack thereof) is stalling the transition of
> many packages from unstable to testing. Also, there are some packages that
> have newer upstream releases with rails 4.x support. Technically, these
> could be upgraded and uploaded, but it would be nice to have a reliable
> version of Rails to work with.
>
> https://release.debian.org/migration/stalls.html
> * 27 packages are stalled by ruby-sprockets-rails (8 days old, waiting for
> rails, rails-4.0) [Debian Ruby Extras Maintainers]
> * 27 packages are stalled by rails-4.0 (241 days old, has RC bugs, waiting
> for ruby-sprockets-rails) [Debian Ruby Extras Maintainers]
> * 27 packages are stalled by rails (6 days old, waiting for
> ruby-sprockets-rails) [Debian Ruby Extras Maintainers]
> * 16 packages are stalled by rails-3.2 (24 days old, has RC bugs) [Debian
> Ruby Extras Maintainers]

There is a reliable version of rails to work with, and it comes from
src:rails. src:rails-4.0 is deprecated and in the process of being
removed:

It seems that both britney and dak somehow think ruby-sprockets-rails
depends on rails-4.0, but once rails-4.0 is removed all that should be
OK.

the ones stalled by rails-3.2 (which will also be removed at some
point) should be updated to drop the '-3.2' from dependencies.

$ grep-aptavail -F Depends -r 'ruby-.*-3.2' | grep-dctrl -v -F Source rails -n -s Package
redmine
ruby-acts-as-taggable-on
ruby-carrierwave
ruby-factory-girl
ruby-factory-girl-rails
ruby-fixture-builder
ruby-foreigner
ruby-i18n-inflector-rails
ruby-rspec-rails
ruby-simple-navigation
ruby-sinon-rails
ruby-strong-parameters

redmine should be hard (it's in my TODO, but I will accept help), the
others should be a lot easier.

--
Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org>