Re: Distkeys

Am Dienstag, 15. Januar 2013 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> Hi!
>
> We developed a tool to distribute SSH keys also to servers behind
> gateways behind gateways in Ruby, also from a list of keys to a list of
> hosts, to execute a script on each host, to scp a file to a list of
> hosts and to ssh to a list of host one after another, plus some other
> little features. Main feature is key distribution to servers. We use it
> for all our own and many customer machines.
>

> We tought it to be a good idea to release it as free software.
>
> So here it is:
>
> https://www.teamix.org/projects/distkeys
>
> git://oss.teamix.org/distkeys.git
>

> We did not finally decide on a license. Current favorite is GPL 2 or
> later which should be compatible with the licenses the libraries the
> script use use[1].
>
> ruby: Ruby 2-clause BSDL (see the file BSDL)
>
> ruby-net-ssh: Expat
>
> ruby-net-ssh-gateway: Expat, I think
>
> ruby-net-sftp: Expat, I think
>
> ruby-termios: GPL
>
> What are usual licenses for such a kind of program? Do you have any
> recommendation or see any issues with GPL, especially in its Version 3
> variant?
>

> Since we use Debian ourselves on many system, we would like to make a
> Debian package out of it.
>
> Since this is not (yet) a gem, but a custom developed ruby script, I
> would like some advice on where to start with packaging in a way that is
> meets the standards of the Debian Ruby team. Any hints, any pointers?
>

> Currently there is also an issue with Distkeys on Ruby 1.9 which is
> described in the README:
>
> Creating a backup to .ssh/authorized_keys-2012-05-16.bak if not already
> done today... Uploading keys to .ssh/authorized_keys-new...
> File does exist and has correct size, moving to .ssh/authorized_keys...
> /usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/net/ssh/connection/session.rb:296:in `[]=':
> can't add a new key into hash during iteration (RuntimeError) […]
>
> I would like to have some help with that.
>

> For the moment I'd like to step up as a maintainer for Distkeys, although
> I didn't to merges yet. I have written most of the recent code, which I
> like to have feedback to as well, if possible. It works, but I am sure
> the is potential to improve it.
>

> [1] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses
>
> Thanks,

Ping.

Any hints?

On

http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Ruby/Packaging

I didn´t find anything on how to package if its not a gem.

Well next three weeks I am busy anyway.

I found that if I want to depend on ruby1.8 I can do so via shebang and
dependency – until the issue with using the script on ruby1.9 is fixed.

Unless other hint provided I go about it like with some other debian
packages I created and see what does come out of it.

Thanks,