Re: Introduction and question about proper Debian Rails packaging methods

On 09/23/2012 12:11 PM, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
4) Use gem2deb to create one .deb per .gem. Advantage: Probably the
proper Debian way. Disadvantage: Up to 20 gems would have to be
packaged with proper dependencies and versions.

This is the right way to go about it.  If you have many dependencies, as
in your case, this means there's a fair amount of effort to package up
all those gems, but on the other side, some of them might already be
packaged and so you get a sharing of effort between applications and
projects.

Thanks for your response.

I will play around with the gem2deb packaging. I am hoping that I can just parse Gemfile.lock of the Rails application with a custom script and automate gem2deb. Does anybody already have experience with automating the process?

What is the best way to resolve gem version dependency? Start with the gems that are already in Debian sid and make sure all added gems are version compliant?

Michael