Re: Ship ruby1.9[.1/3] as default Ruby in Wheezy

On May 25, 2012 6:39 AM, "Antonio Terceiro" <terceiro@debian.org> wrote:

> Hell Jordon,
>
> Jordon Bedwell escreveu isso aí:
> > On May 24, 2012 3:25 PM, "shawn" <shawnlandden@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > The Ruby 1.9 series brings massive speed improvements over the 1.8
> > > series due to the new YARV/KRI bytecode interpreter.
M> > >
> > > In addition to the massive speed improvements, new event-based libraries
> > > take advantage of new Ruby 1.9 features such as light weight threads
> > > (fibers), and are therefore 1.9 exclusive.
> > >

> > This in itself is not a good reason. The best reason is ruby indirectly
> > forcing debian ruby to somewhat be less ignorant in packaging.
>
> This is not the first time you refer to other people's work using such
> an offensive tone. Please refrain from doing that. If you want to help
> things to improve, you can send patches.

I was not offensive, I was honest. Just because you do not like wording does not make it offensive, I did not go on a big rant, I echoed a widely known complaint. Either you ignore all the complaints or you just have no idea. None.  Please don't confuse truth with offensive.  I have sent patches and code. Actually I rewrote entire pieces to be more intuitive only to have the email ignored and the thread die and a bad code put in instead, code that did not even fully address the entire issue, but alas refer to the last paragraph of my last email.

> > > We have had the 1.9 series, and the 1.9.1 (through present 1.9.3) API,
> > > in Debian since before squeeze.
> > >
> > > What I would like for Wheezy would be:
> > > 1. Change the default ruby interpreter in Wheezy to 1.9.3. [1]
> > > 2. Drop the ruby1.8 option after the release of Wheezy
> >
> > This could be ignorant. Depending on when you plan to. Before 2013 is
> > ignorant. You've then prematurely decided that people still porting huge
> > projects have to now work around debian ruby more than they already do.
>
> Ruby 1.8 will be included in Wheezy, and will be available during the
> Wheezy lifecycle. It will just not be the default. Packages that are not
> ported to Ruby 1.9 can just stay using ruby1.8, they just have to depend
> explicitly on ruby1.8 and use /usr/bin/ruby1.8 for shebangs and the
> like. If people have non-packaged code that needs Ruby 1.8, they can
> just make it the system default using alternatives.
>
> Wheezy+1 should be release late 2014, so by then it will not be
> reasonable to keep supporting Ruby 1.8, so we will probably drop Ruby
> 1.8 for Wheezy+1.

This indirectly dodges my statement on point releases.  I think most ruby programmers would rather see no 1.8 rather than to have a FEATURE stripped in a point release just to hang onto a grace period for a EOL instead of making the upcoming date just be total EOL for Debian to ease management.