Re: Ship ruby1.9[.1/3] as default Ruby in Wheezy

Hell Jordon,

Jordon Bedwell escreveu isso aí:
> On May 24, 2012 3:25 PM, "shawn" <shawnlandden@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The Ruby 1.9 series brings massive speed improvements over the 1.8
> > series due to the new YARV/KRI bytecode interpreter.
> >
> > In addition to the massive speed improvements, new event-based libraries
> > take advantage of new Ruby 1.9 features such as light weight threads
> > (fibers), and are therefore 1.9 exclusive.
> >

> This in itself is not a good reason. The best reason is ruby indirectly
> forcing debian ruby to somewhat be less ignorant in packaging.

This is not the first time you refer to other people's work using such
an offensive tone. Please refrain from doing that. If you want to help
things to improve, you can send patches.

> > We have had the 1.9 series, and the 1.9.1 (through present 1.9.3) API,
> > in Debian since before squeeze.
> >
> > What I would like for Wheezy would be:
> > 1. Change the default ruby interpreter in Wheezy to 1.9.3. [1]
> > 2. Drop the ruby1.8 option after the release of Wheezy
>
> This could be ignorant. Depending on when you plan to. Before 2013 is
> ignorant. You've then prematurely decided that people still porting huge
> projects have to now work around debian ruby more than they already do.

Ruby 1.8 will be included in Wheezy, and will be available during the
Wheezy lifecycle. It will just not be the default. Packages that are not
ported to Ruby 1.9 can just stay using ruby1.8, they just have to depend
explicitly on ruby1.8 and use /usr/bin/ruby1.8 for shebangs and the
like. If people have non-packaged code that needs Ruby 1.8, they can
just make it the system default using alternatives.

Wheezy+1 should be release late 2014, so by then it will not be
reasonable to keep supporting Ruby 1.8, so we will probably drop Ruby
1.8 for Wheezy+1.

--
Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org>