Re: JRuby packaging

Alex Young escreveu isso aí:
> jruby_1.5.1+dfsg4-2 has been accepted into main.

Nice. :)

> It'd probably be a good idea for someone more familiar with the new
> Ruby policy to take a quick look at the package (if that hasn't
> already happened) to make sure there's nothing lurking that needs
> attending to.

JRuby does not have /usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby in the $LOAD_PATH. None of
our Ruby packages that are supposed to work with any Ruby implementation
are going to be available to JRuby:

$ jruby -e 'puts $LOAD_PATH'
/usr/lib/jruby//lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8
/usr/lib/jruby//lib/ruby/site_ruby/shared
/usr/lib/jruby//lib/ruby/1.8
.

(there is no room for vendor packages at all)

This should probably be discussed with upstream. Proposing a change like
this for Rubinius is in my TODO list (with a not so high priority,
though).

Rubygems stuff is being installed to /usr/lib, what is a violation of
the FHS. It should be installing somewhere under /var/lib, or at least
to /usr/local:

$ jruby -rubygems -e 'puts Gem.dir'
/usr/lib/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8

rubygems1.8 and ruby1.9.1 packages currently install gem data to
/var/lib/gems and binaries to /usr/local/bin

Also JRuby does not register itself with update-alternatives as an
alternative for /usr/bin/ruby. To me it seems that JRuby is mature
enough for that, but maybe the maintainers don't think so.

--
Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org>