Libraries with tests, but not included in the gem: what to do?

Hi,

I come again to you with probably a trivial question.

Some ruby libraries have a test suite that one can find in their
repository, but the tests are not shipped in the gem. Two such examples
are:
ruby-liquid: needed to run the tests of tilt;
ruby-pdf-reader: dependency for a new version of ruby-prawn.

Including the test suite using patches seems difficult.
I see two other solutions:
- since the source to create the gem are available in a repository in
  github, I could recreate a gem after having modified the .gemspec file
  to include the spec/, but I am not sure this is a good practice
- put the spec/ directory in debian/ and copy it in the top level
  directory during the build process.

What would you advise?

Best wishes,