Re: Building a Debian package out of a Rubygems' .gem file

Hi Clint,

Clint Byrum escreveu isso aí:
> On Oct 17, 2010, at 9:20 AM, Antonio Terceiro wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I've just published a post that provides some information on some stuff
> > I've being working on, such as gem2tgz, and the newest addition, a
> > debhelper buildsystem implementation that reproduces the behaviour of
> > our current setup.rb CDBS rules, with some differencies.
> >
> > http://softwarelivre.org/terceiro/blog/building-a-debian-package-out-of-a-rubygems-.gem-file
> >
> > I would appreciate any feedback on that, and ideas on how to cope with
> > the missing bits (there are plenty of them).
> >

> Antonio, I think we may have been doing some parallel work.
>
> My focus is on making it easy to go from gem -> .dsc with Debigem
>
> https://launchpad.net/debigem
>
> I just released a version which no longer uses 'gem install' to put
> the files down on the disk, but rather users setup.rb.
>
> My next challenge is in handling new versions gracefully by extracting
> the yaml spec file properly, as the program I wrote, dh_rubygems,
> tries to do the ruby dependencies based on the gemspec dependencies.

I see that dh_rubygems generates the dependencies during build time,
like dh_perl. What would be the issue with new versions?

> Anyway, I hope its of some use and would be thrilled if you chose
> to lift some code from it for what you're doing. I find that most
> well written gems work without modification just by go dh-make-gem
> file.gem and then debuild'ing in the source dir.
>
> If you think my time would be better spent working on your tool, let
> me know, I would love to collaborate on this.

Yes, debigem is a very nice work. In special, reading the gemspec file
and generating proper debian/control and debian/copyright files is very
important for us, and if you agree it would be nice to turn parts of
debigem into dh-make-ruby.

I've started drafting some requirements for dh-make-ruby at the wiki:
http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Ruby/dh-make-ruby

--
Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@softwarelivre.org>
http://softwarelivre.org/terceiro