Re: Ruby-full

On Fri, Dec 22, 2006 at 12:23:31PM +0000, vincent.fourmond@9online.fr wrote:
> > I don't see how: no packages depend on ri, rdoc and irb to provide a full
> ruby install. Or at least, nothing that aptitude shows me. So, unless I am very
> mistaken, this problem is still on. Moreover, people I wrote to this morning
> were using relatively recent debian versions, and they didn't seem to notice
> this.

When using apt or aptitude, installing ruby gives you ruby1.8 which
gives you rdoc1.8 and ri1.8.  IRB can be seen as a separate app, thouhg
it's a usefull one, so maybe it can be added.

> Namely, what has been required is a package ruby-full that would depend on:
>
> ruby, irb, rdoc, ri, libgdbm-ruby, libdbm-ruby, libruby-extra and maybe the tk
> library.

The gdbm, dbm, openssl and tk libraries were split of of libruby1.8 for
a reason.  Maybe Akira can enlighten (again) us about this. I am fine
with it, more so because it was a careful compromise at the time.
These libraries are almost never used and drag in extra dependancies.
Also, IMHO, libruby-extras has nothing to do with it and this possible
meta-pkg also lies within the realm of ruby/ruby1.8 core package team.

Regards,
Paul

--
Student @ Eindhoven                         | email: paulvt@debian.org