Re: ruby-stdlib virtual package?

Ar 27/01/2005 am 12:12, ysgrifennodd Ghislain MARY:
> > To quote http://blog.leetsoft.com/articles/read/8
> >  ``Debian and ruby don't like each other. Thats no secret. In the rails
> > support channel it regularly happens that people come up with the most
> > obscure error messages about missing stuff. You will hear 3+ people asking
> > "what distro" but they know the answer already.''
>
> This point is often discussed on the ruby-talk mailing list too. And I totally
> agree with what is said in this quote.
>
> > Can the packaging be changed so that libruby1.8 contains all libraries that
> > have no external dependencies, and the only libraries which are split out
> > are those like tk, gtk, curses etc. ?
>
> Actually, even tk and curses are part of the ruby std-lib. For a full list of
> what libraries should be installed when installing ruby-1.8, see
> http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/

I'm in favour of most of the Ruby standard library being installed by
default, but I'm not a huge fan of the idea of needing to install Tcl +
Tk if I'm installing Ruby.

Curses, Readline, OpenSSL, GDBM, Zlib, etc. I don't have any problem
with since these are very likely to be needed by other things anyway.

--
Dafydd