Re: ruby-stdlib virtual package?

(NB: I'm replying to a message that was posted in August 2004.)

Philipp Kern wrote:
>On So, 2004-08-01 at 15:58, Emiel van de Laar wrote:
>> Would it be worth creating a virtual package that installs
>> all of the standard library packages.
>
>I bet the libruby-* packages you need to install aren't part of the Ruby
>standard library but supplementary ones.

You guess wrong :-)

Many of these packages are very much part of standard Ruby.

e.g. any Ruby code can freely do
 require 'strscan'
and expect their code to work.

Under Debian, the program will break unless libstrscan-ruby1.8 has additionally
been installed.

Some other examples of this are libdl-ruby1.8 and libdrb-ruby1.8.

It's okay splitting out "optional" packages like the Tk bindings, but e.g.
strscan is ALWAYS built with Ruby.

To quote http://blog.leetsoft.com/articles/read/8
 ``Debian and ruby don't like each other. Thats no secret. In the rails support
 channel it regularly happens that people come up with the most obscure error
 messages about missing stuff. You will hear 3+ people asking "what distro" but
 they know the answer already.''

Can the packaging be changed so that libruby1.8 contains all libraries that
have no external dependencies, and the only libraries which are split out are
those like tk, gtk, curses etc. ?

Thanks.