Re: ruby-stdlib virtual package?

> To quote http://blog.leetsoft.com/articles/read/8
>  ``Debian and ruby don't like each other. Thats no secret. In the rails
> support channel it regularly happens that people come up with the most
> obscure error messages about missing stuff. You will hear 3+ people asking
> "what distro" but they know the answer already.''

This point is often discussed on the ruby-talk mailing list too. And I totally
agree with what is said in this quote.

> Can the packaging be changed so that libruby1.8 contains all libraries that
> have no external dependencies, and the only libraries which are split out
> are those like tk, gtk, curses etc. ?

Actually, even tk and curses are part of the ruby std-lib. For a full list of
what libraries should be installed when installing ruby-1.8, see
http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/

That would be really really great to have a standard ruby installation using
debian packages instead of having to install from sources in order to be sure
every ruby program we get will run...

Thanks