Re: creating debian packages

On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 03:44:13PM +0100, Dafydd Harries wrote:
> Ar 01/06/2004 am 14:00, ysgrifennodd Roeland Moors:
> > The debian package can be created by typing 'rake deb' in de
> > topdir. (rake must be installed)
>
> As far as I can tell, Rake is not currently available for Debian and
> would need to be packaged before the gnucap library.

Rake might be handy to have in Debian indeed.

> I think the section should be "libs" rather than "interpreters".
>
> I don't think there should be a "1.8" on the end of the package name --
> my understanding is that this convention should normally be reserved for
> packages built from the main Ruby distribution.

The Ruby policy does not dicate this yet. IMO if a package depends on
certain version a <package>1.8 or <package>-ruby1.8 is required with
maybe a virtual package for install comfort.

> It would be nice if all the boilerplate debhelper lines were removed
> from the rules file.

Maybe writing dh_ruby would be handy. That will require doing some Perl
though :)

Paul

--
Student @ Eindhoven                         | JID:   paul@luon.net