Re: creating debian packages

On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 03:12:13PM +0100, Dafydd Harries wrote:
> Ar 31/05/2004 am 15:53, ysgrifennodd Roeland Moors:
> > Is there a guide to make a debian package for a ruby library.
> > I know the Debian maintainer guide, but it would be easier if
> > there was a guide for debian/ruby. (or an hello world package)
> > It would be nice if I could create a debian package from rake.
> > Maybe somebody already done this?
>
> You might want to take a look at some existing Ruby packages. As far as
> I can tell, there are two kinds of Ruby libraries: those which are pure
> Ruby (Architecture: all), and those which contain C code (usually
> Architecture: any).
>
> For both types of library, you typically have to run a Ruby script to do
> some configuration or Makefile generation, so you have to build-depend
> on Ruby.
>
> One thing to be careful of is that libraries are installed in the
> correct place, since the default is usually in /usr/local. You can get
> the correct location with something like this in the Makefile:
>
> 	config     = $(shell ruby -rrbconfig -e 'puts Config::CONFIG["$(1)"]')
> 	site_ruby := $(call config,rubylibdir)
>
> You can also call the $config rule for other things. For example:
>
> 	ruby      := $(call config,ruby_install_name)
>
> If you make a preliminary Ruby package, I think this mailing list would
> be glad to review it.

Here is the ruby package:
http://rubyforge.org/projects/gnucap/

The debian package can be created by typing 'rake deb' in de
topdir. (rake must be installed)

This is my first attempt at a debian package so tell me if I'm
doing something wrong. Suggestions, comments are welcome.

If this package is ok, is there someone who can put it in Debian?

--
Roeland