Re: Some observations from a first time debian.org XMPP user

On 14 April 2017 at 18:21, W. Martin Borgert <debacle@debian.org> wrote:
> On 2017-04-14 18:07, Matthew Wild wrote:
>> If someone were to set up mod_firewall on debian.org with the bundled
>> spam-blocking ruleset, I'd be happy to additionally provide some of
>> the (currently unpublished) experimental rules that I've been working
>> on recently to combat spam.
>
> Matthew, is the version of mod_firewall in Debian "good enought"
> for those rules? (It's a code snapshot from 2017-01-23.) TIA!

No, it won't be good enough. I did a lot of work on mod_firewall
through January and February and I added some features in parallel
with work on spam-blocking.pfw. They are both maintained in the same
repository and as a rule, spam-blocking.pfw is compatible with
mod_firewall from the same repository revision. spam-blocking.pfw
wasn't committed until 2017-02-23.

Things have more or less settled for now, as I'm working on other
areas like better (automated) handling of spam reports from users.

Regards,
Matthew

PS. since the inclusion of "bundled" rulesets, mod_firewall also
supports specifying ruleset paths relative to the module file with the
'module:' prefix, e.g. with the prosody-modules repo layout you can
add to your config:

   firewall_scripts = {
     "module:scripts/spam-blocking.pfw";
     "/etc/prosody/my-custom-firewall-rules.pfw";
   }

Just mentioned this in case it has a bearing on packaging decisions.