Re: Some observations from a first time debian.org XMPP user

On 14 April 2017 at 14:14, Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.pro> wrote:
> I've continue to receive some private messages from people concerned
> about the problem, have there been any recent developments that we
> should take advantage of for the debian.org server?

Yes, actually. It's ongoing, but quite some work has gone into
mod_firewall[1] and a common ruleset for tackling spam[2].

On their own these rules don't block all spam, but aim to offer a
sensible foundation on which to build more advanced filtering rules,
such as blacklists and content filtering. Standardizing these latter
rules are the current work in progress, as we gather data. It's also
important that they stay quite agile in response to new and different
kinds of spam.

Other efforts in the community include things like Providence[3],
which we are keeping an eye on and will integrate with if it matures
into a usable generic solution.

If someone were to set up mod_firewall on debian.org with the bundled
spam-blocking ruleset, I'd be happy to additionally provide some of
the (currently unpublished) experimental rules that I've been working
on recently to combat spam.

At some point I'm planning to do a write-up somewhere about all this,
but haven't really reached that stage yet.

Regards,
Matthew

[1]: https://modules.prosody.im/mod_firewall.html
[2]: https://hg.prosody.im/prosody-modules/file/tip/mod_firewall/scripts/spam-blocking.pfw