Re: Consider publishing packages snapshots to support distroless images

Hi,

On Fri, 17 Mar 2023 at 10:05, Aleksandr Razumov <razumov.me@gmail.com> wrote:

> HI,
>
> I'm trying to bring riscv64 architecture support to Kubernetes.
> One of dependencies is etcd, which is using distroless images that do not currently support riscv64.
>
> While trying to add riscv64 support for distroless, I've encountered following error:

> Looks like there is no riscv64 equivalent for "https://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20230314T211539Z/dists/bullseye/main/binary-arm64/Packages.xz";.
>
> Can someone guide me where to find this?
> If there is no equivalent, can one consider implementing that kind of snapshotting, or riscv64 should become an official port first?

I don't use snapshots very often, but replying as a kind of "to the
best of my knowlege".

To use something like "dists/bullseye", "dists/bookworm" etc in that
URL it should become an official port first, yes.

You can use the same basic URLs as above but substitute
"archive/debian/" for "archive/debian-ports/", "dists/bullseye" for
"dists/unstable" and using "binary-riscv64" and it will work (the
timestamp is also a bit different, I think that it's done at one point
for the main archive and the other for the "ports" archive).  Example:

  https://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian-ports/20230316T202809Z/dists/unstable/main/binary-riscv64/Packages.xz

Does that work for you?

Obviously, packages missing or buggy can be a problem... but otherwise
it should be a close copy to "debian/unstable" of the main ports, that
due to the deep stage of the freeze for the upcoming stable, it should
be very similar to "debian/testing" and "debian/bookworm".

If you want something closer to "bullseye" you should use an older
timestamp and try your luck...  most of the packages are available and
basically working for a long time, but the state of the archive today
is better than 2 years ago by the time of the release "bullseye".

> I'm completely new to debian packaging, sorry for my stupid questions.

No stupid questions, nothing to be sorry about :)

Cheers.
--
Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo <manuel.montezelo@gmail.com>