Re: New to Debian/RISC-V

Hi William,

William Bonnet, on 2021-11-06:
> I would be really happy to stard (for real thi time) to contribue also
> on Risc V. I am lucky to own two boards of this kind and will start to
> read and stup my envoronnement according to the links.

Thanks for your offer, that's great to read you have real
hardware at hand for testing!  :)

> Is there also aleready some prebuild image even unofficial ?

The Hardware section of the wiki page [1] lists some of the
available boards, and links to their own InstallingDebianOn wiki
pages.  There are such pages for the HiFive Unleashed [2] and
Unmatched [3] at the moment, in case these were your boards.  I
saw some unofficial images available at least for the Unmatched.

[1]: https://wiki.debian.org/RISC-V#Hardware
[2]: https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/SiFive/HiFiveUnleashed
[3]: https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/SiFive/HiFiveUnmatched

> Once i'm up and runing which tutirial / procedure / wiki page should i
> read please to start working  in team mode ? I guess it goes through
> Salsa ?

Strictly regarding the RISC-V Debian port and its associated
team, I think most of the information is available on, or
reachable from, the RISC-V wiki page [4].  If you're strictly
interested in ports, you most likely want to know how to work
with the Bug Tracker System [5].  As you will test packages, you
will encounter bugs which may (or may not) be specific to
riscv64 and report them with `reportbug`, and maybe send a patch
alongside in case you find a way to fix the issue.  I find that
the porter roll call sent by Graham Inggs lately [6] gives a
good overview of the tasks related to porting.

[4]: https://wiki.debian.org/RISC-V
[5]: https://www.debian.org/Bugs/
[6]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2021/10/msg00007.html

Getting a Salsa account won't hurt, and I suppose one way to
work with maintainers could be to open Salsa issues and offer
merge requests.  The canonical mean to report issues remains the
BTS though.

> Thanks in advance for pointing me the good quickstart so i can do it
> according to procedures. I'm at ease with packaging, i am looking for
> the right way to stop working on my side ;) ) ans surely apply soon to
> join a team

The Developer's Reference manual has a dedicated chapter on
Porting and Being Ported [7].  It might be a good idea to be
aware of what it involves at both ends, even though most of the
details involving uploads are a concern for DDs specifically.
If by chance you were interested in doing more general work in
Debian, the Join [8] page is a good starting point (although
perhaps not a "quick" start guide).

[7]: https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.en.html#porting-and-being-ported
[8]: https://www.debian.org/devel/join/

Have a nice day,  :)
--
Étienne Mollier <emollier@emlwks999.eu>
Fingerprint:  8f91 b227 c7d6 f2b1 948c  8236 793c f67e 8f0d 11da