Re: New to Debian/RISC-V

Hi Ileana,

Ileana Dumitrescu, on 2021-11-04:
> Hello everyone! I am new to Debian, and I was recommended to contact a group within debian-ports to ask about ways that I can contribute to the project. I am interested in learning more about RISC-V and helping out in any ways that I can.

Thanks for your offer for help!  :)

> Would someone be able to point me to some bugs/issues that are good for someone new that I can fix to start? I have already subscribed to the debian-riscv email list and read the Debian RISC-V pages. I have a RISC-V VM set up so I can start anytime.

Bugs affecting RISC-V can be usertagged, so they appear on a
dedicated page in the Debian bug tracker [1].  There are a
handful of open categorized issues at the moment, but most have
already patches attached, except #981629 (affecting SELinux) and
#896063 (a request for packaging gcc riscv32 cross-compiler).
Another option could be to investigate build failures affecting
specifically the riscv64 architecture, as can be queried on the
Ultimate Debian Database [2].

Testing the architecture with your RISC-V virtual machine sounds
like a good starting point for helping out.  Don't hesitate to
use it with Debian Testing or Sid, and use the command
"reportbug" to report what breaks.  Mind setting the usertags
when doing so [4], so they land within riscv64 porters radar.

[1]: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?users=debian-riscv@lists.debian.org
[2]: https://udd.debian.org/cgi-bin/ftbfs.cgi?arch=riscv64
[3]: https://wiki.debian.org/RISC-V
[4]: https://wiki.debian.org/RISC-V#Bugs_.28BTS.29

Have a nice day,  :)
--
Étienne Mollier <emollier@emlwks999.eu>
Fingerprint:  8f91 b227 c7d6 f2b1 948c  8236 793c f67e 8f0d 11da