Re: xrdp involvement

Hi Matt,

On  Do 18 Mär 2021 14:59:44 CET, Matt Burt wrote:

Hi,

I'm one of the maintainers of the xrdp project.

From time-to-time we identify issues on our tracker which are best solved downstream by the distros. Since the vast majority of our uses seem to be using Debian-derived distros I would dearly like to get some engagement with the Debian packagers over these, but at present I haven't identified a useful mechanism to do so.

Good examples of these are #907878 which has been outstanding for a couple of years, and #984782 which I raised myself a little recently.

At downstream, we're able to advise some users who stumble across these as to fixes and workarounds. To a point that's OK, but because we have no engagement at present with Debian in particular, I can never be sure that the fix I'm advising is optimal, or how I can propose it to Debian for discussion at least.

Is there a better mechanism for us to attempt an engagement other than raising bugs? Should we maybe be proposing PRs in salsa too? I'm sure we can find some effort to do that if it would be helpful to you and your users.

Thanks for any info,

--
Matt Burt

Thanks for reaching out. Unfortunately, the xrdp Debian maintainer(s) did not manage to upstream version bump xrdp 0.9.12 to 0.9.15 in time for the Debian 11 freeze. I only realized that when it was too late.

Unfortunately, at this time of the release stage, we are only allowed to fix things that are really broken. I'd be happy to help out with that, if upstream (i.e.) is able to point me to individual patches that solve bugs reported against Debian's bug tracker.

Personally, I prefer bugs to Debian's BTS (as we need them anyway for e.g. communication with the release team).

Please note, that we can also fix bugs for Debian stable, if they are reported against Debian's BTS, if those bug reports contain a patch, etc.

So, salsa MRs/PRs are only second choice, because we need the bugs in BTS anyway, esp. during release.

I will ping the last uploader personally the coming week and ask for ACK to handle uploads of xrdp if needed.

So, I'd say, please send bugs to Debian's BTS for package xrdp, attach patches (ideally one bug, one patch(set)) and ping me again, so that we can coordinate what to upload.

At the same time, we can upload latest xrdp to Debian experimental and get it ready for being provided in bullseye-backports right after the Debian 11 release.

Ideally, ping me on IRC (OFTC, i.e. irc.debian.org), for better and realtime coordination. Make sure, you nick stays on the channel for a while.

Greets,
Mike
--

mike gabriel aka sunweaver (Debian Developer)
mobile: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Fingerprint: 9BFB AEE8 6C0A A5FF BF22  0782 9AF4 6B30 2577 1B31
mail: sunweaver@debian.org, http://sunweavers.net