Re: Request for advice on mariadb-10.5 migration schedule

Hi Otto,

On 22-11-2020 14:41, Otto Kekäläinen wrote:
> This is a temporary transitional package that does not exist in 10.5
> anymore: https://packages.debian.org/unstable/libmariadbclient-dev

This is a binary from mariadb-10.3. We discussed before, it shouldn't be
part of bullseye, right? What you can do is file a RM bug against
ftp.debian.org and get it removed from unstable. Then the removal of
10.3 and addition of 10.5 can migrate together.

> Should I re-introduce it into 10.5? It would then force mariadb-10.5
> into the NEW queue etc. Or I could make 'libmariadb-dev' provide it.

If you want to keep src:mariadb-10.3 around, one or the other. Or you
could upload a new version of mariadb-10.3 which drops the package.

> There is nothing that depends on it, this is purely an exercise in
> making britney happy and not my area of expertise.

It's not to make britney happy, it's to ensure that binary packages in
testing are installable. So either, make sure that packages that are in
testing remain installable or get them removed, it's totally in your
control (removal of course takes ftp-master to act, but you get what I
mean I hope).

Paul

By the way, with several binaries from the old version taken over by the
new version: why do you have versioned source packages? It seems that
once you upload a new versioned source package, the old one isn't very
useful as a source package, so why not have the new one replace the old
one by creating one unversioned source package?