Re: Request: removal of package lilo from testing

Hi Joachim,

On 16-11-2019 13:42, Joachim Wiedorn wrote:
> Paul Gevers wrote on 2019-11-11 22:57:
>
>> On different thoughts, are users of lilo migrated to grub2 in any way?
>> Is this possible? If not, this is probably worth mentioning in the
>> release-notes, no?
>
> This is a important point. What is the best way?

That I don't know. You are much more knowledgeable on the inners of lilo
(and I assume your knowledge on grub2 surpasses mine by far).

> Should I create a "last" package for bullseye and then write the RC?
> Or should I create a transition package instead of orphan the package?
Does installing grub2 on former lilo started systems do-the-right-thing?
In all cases? If not all, what kind of corner cases aren't supported? If
no, how much admin actions are required? Can this be automated? Etc.
Depending on all these answers, the solution will be different, but
without any knowledge of discrepancies to me it feels better to migrate
the current users to grub2. That would mean that there needs to be a
transitional lilo package in bullseye. If this can work out of the box,
you could even ask the grub2 maintainer to carry this transitional
package for you. Without it, uploading an empty package for the
transition is trivial. However, that way you can't keep your package in sid.

Paul