Re: Request: removal of package lilo from testing

Hi Joachim,

On 11-11-2019 19:34, Joachim Wiedorn wrote:
> For more than 10 years grub2 is the successor of lilo as
> boot loader and finally it seems all problems and wishes
> were solved with grub2.
>
> I have maintained lilo for many years and I think it is
> now the right time to remove lilo from testing.
>
> I am also the (last) developer of lilo. I have searched
> for somebody who want to overtake development, but it
> seems nobody want to work with "this old software".
>
> Because the software is in a good state until now it should
> stay in sid until the next Debian release.

The most transparent way of doing this is to file an RC bug against your
own package with the above rationale. autoremoval will remove it in due
time (around 15 days for packages without reverse dependencies), and the
RC bug will keep it out of bullseye.

On different thoughts, are users of lilo migrated to grub2 in any way?
Is this possible? If not, this is probably worth mentioning in the
release-notes, no?

Paul