Re: Bits from the Release Team: ride like the wind, Bullseye!

On Sun, 2019-07-07 at 02:47 +0100, Jonathan Wiltshire wrote:
[...]
> No binary maintainer uploads for bullseye
>
> The release of buster also means the bullseye release cycle is about to begin.
> From now on, we will no longer allow binaries uploaded by maintainers to
> migrate to testing. This means that you will need to do source-only uploads if
> you want them to reach bullseye.

I support this move in principle, but:

>   Q: I already did a binary upload, do I need to do a new (source-only) upload?
>   A: Yes (preferably with other changes, not just a version bump).
>
>   Q: I needed to do a binary upload because my upload went to the NEW queue,
>      do I need to do a new (source-only) upload for it to reach bullseye?
>   A: Yes. We also suggest going through NEW in experimental instead of unstable
>      where possible, to avoid disruption in unstable.
[...]

This is not going to fly for src:linux.  We can't stage ABI bumps in
experimental as we typically have a different upstream versions in
unstable and experimental.  We even need to do ABI bumps in stable from
time to time.

I think that the requirement to upload binary packages for binary-NEW
(but not source-NEW) needs to go.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Time is nature's way of making sure that