Re: mandatory source uploads (was: Bits from the Release Team: ride like the wind, Bullseye!)

On 7/7/19 3:16 PM, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Jul 07, 2019 at 02:47:00AM +0100, Jonathan Wiltshire wrote:
>> Shortly before the end of the 6th July, we released Debian 10, "buster".
>
> *yay* *yay* & *yay*!
>
>> No binary maintainer uploads for bullseye
>>
>> The release of buster also means the bullseye release cycle is about to begin.
>> From now on, we will no longer allow binaries uploaded by maintainers to
>> migrate to testing. This means that you will need to do source-only uploads if
>> you want them to reach bullseye.
>>

>>   Q: I already did a binary upload, do I need to do a new (source-only) upload?
>>   A: Yes (preferably with other changes, not just a version bump).
>>
>>   Q: I needed to do a binary upload because my upload went to the NEW queue,
>>      do I need to do a new (source-only) upload for it to reach bullseye?
>>   A: Yes. We also suggest going through NEW in experimental instead of unstable
>>      where possible, to avoid disruption in unstable.
>
> whoooohoooo, that's *totally* awesome news! loving it.

I don't. I don't fee happy of this at all, and here's why.

I have 150 OpenStack packages waiting in Experimental, built for the
OpenStack Stein release. OF COURSE, they all are inter-dependent, and to
build a given package, you probably need the latest version of another one.

So, instead of preparing them all (build them all for Unstable and
upload at once, using sbuild and --extra-package when needed), it means
that I'll have to build them one by one, upload, wait for the next dak
run to have a new package in, then go to the next. With the amount of
package, this probably can take 3 weeks to a month instead of a single
week like I planned.

Also, the result, it's *less nice* for Sid/Bullseye users, because the
transition will be super long if I do this way.

The other alternative is to build all like I planned, upload all to
Unstable, then rebuild all again, and do a 2nd upload (source only this
time). There, I'm also loosing a lot of time for no valid technical
reason, which isn't nice at all either. I feel like I'm going to be
doing all of this during all of debcamp / debconf, which isn't fun at
all, I had planned for other stuffs to do there.

Advice on what's the best way would be welcome.

I also very much would prefer if this wasn't announced just like this,
without giving any amount of time to prepare for the thing and discuss
it. That's not the first time the release team does this way, and that's
really not the best way to do things. (If I missed the discussion, then
IMO it wasn't advertised enough, which has the same effect.)

I very much salute the source-only enforcement, but I really don't think
this was thought through completely.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)