Re: How to handle daemon-not-running bugs of debhelper compat level 11?

wferi@niif.hu:
> On Wed, 27 Mar 2019 20:12:00 +0000 Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net> wrote:
>
>> Related note (with my RT hat on): Please defer debhelper compat bumps
>> for anything targeting buster as it is not considered a "minimal change".
>
> Dear Release Team,
>
> I recently realised that #887904 (dh_installsystemd will unmask services
> *after* an attempt to start them) affects pacemaker (and probably every
> other debhelper compat level 11 daemons with a native systemd unit).
> The symptom:
>
> apt install pacemeker => pacemaker is running, good;
> apt remove  pacemaker => pacemaker is not running, good;
> apt install pacemaker => pacemaker is still not running, NOT good;
> service pacemaker start => pacemaker is running, good.
>
> I think this is a bug, although probably not a policy violation.  What
> should one do for buster?
> 1. Don't care,
> 2. try to fix this somehow on compat level 11 (how?),

Another package had a similar issue and here I recommended the use of
DH_COMPAT (and override targets) to selectively bump the compat level of
dh_installinit and dh_installsystemd to compat 12.

E.g.

override_dh_installinit:
	DH_COMPAT=12 dh_installinit ...

override_dh_installsystemd:
	DH_COMPAT=12 dh_installsystemd ...

Note the exact runes needed depend on your existing compat level and
package; the above runes are geared towards compat 11 but are untested.
 For compat 10 and earlier you want a similar but slightly different
approach.

I believe that is the (general) route/path of "least evil/problematic"
for buster (without having looked at the concrete packaging at all).

Thanks,
~Niels