Re: libuv minor bumps

cc debian-release - maybe they can find it interesting.

On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 10:58:41 PM you wrote:
> Hi Luca,
>
> since libuv is at the core of nodejs, could you inform me just a little
> before
> you upload new minor version bumps of that lib ?
>
> Right now nodejs 4.2 LTS is supported with libuv 1.8, not libuv 1.9.
> Any bug coming from that version mismatch won't be supported by
> upstream long term support team - this is bad.

I'm definitely super sorry about that, I was not taking into account the
nodejs release channels.

I have to say I'm a bit lost at the moment with nodejs versions, so just to
recap I have a single question: is 4.2 LTS the nodejs intended to be shipped
with stretch?

Yes ! Actually the correct answer is "Node.js 4 LTS" (because minor version bumps
can happen in the LTS but not addons ABI bumps, so usually nothing to worry about).
Upstream is really committed to that long term support: we will have security
fixes for bundled dependencies. So it's a good idea to keep in touch in case
nodejs LTS provides such fixes.

If so, 1.9 has not yet reached testing and we can put an artificial RC to
block it right now, then revert it (via an epoch or +really version).

OTOH, if we are not aiming for it as the target version in stretch it
shouldn't be a problem, right? (This release actually highlighted a regression
in upstream, which is easier to bisect at this point)

Well, it's going to be a problem in the worst case of having to upload a new libuv
version < 1.9.0.
Blocking the transition to testing is enough for me right now - i'm in favor of waiting
a little before deciding something, because
https://github.com/nodejs/node/pull/4276#issuecomment-167992719
shows Node.js 4 might get libuv 1.9 soon.

Jérémy.