Re: libquazip transition

Le 18 juil. 2014 à 01:01, Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org> a écrit :

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 23:35:55 +0200, Eric Maeker wrote:

Le 17/07/2014 19:25, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort a écrit :
May I ask why the -dev package is versioned, instead of simply being
libquazip-dev, as I think it should be?

As the ABI version of libquazip has a possibility to evolve, I choose to
include the so version in the package name. This is also a
recommandation I've found in the documentation of shared libraries
packaging.

That's a bug in said documentation.  -dev package names should only
include a version if you intend to ship several versions for an extended
period of time.

Thanks for your review and comment. You are right the version of -dev package is only required if maintener intend to ship multiple version of the ABI. There aren t any bug in the doc (see 8.4)

https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-sharedlibs.html

How can we be certain about multiple ABI. Should I ask upstream? Or is that a ´debian only decision´?

Cheers,
Julien

Thanks
Éric