Re: Bits from the Release Team: Architecture health check

Robert Millan <rmh@debian.org> writes:
> On 30/01/2014 08:15, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

>> So the console kit path seems like the only option so far (unless
>> someone ports logind to use some other freebsd technology).

> I'm not an expert on session or console management, but seeing how XDM
> has managed to work without consolekit for the last 25 years, I have a
> hard time believing either consolekit or logind are the only option if
> you want to implement a display manager.

They probably aren't.  However, they are, as I understand it, the only
options that GNOME has any support for whatsoever.  Adding support for
some third option might be possible, but I'm dubious that's realistic for
a jessie release timeframe.