Re: Bits from the Release Team: Architecture health check

On 29/01/14 22:11, Robert Millan wrote:
> On 29/01/2014 19:41, Niels Thykier wrote:
>>  * kfreebsd-amd64 and kfreebsd-i386
>>    - On one hand, we are unconvinced that kFreeBSD will be able
>>      to be on par with other release architectures in terms of
>>      supported packages for Jessie.
>>    - On the other hand, we believe kFreeBSD could be improved by
>>      reducing the scope of the port for Jessie.
>
> Could you elaborate? I.e. what is the problem and what solution you
> have in mind.

What exactly does the 'scope of the port' mean?  Suites of packages,
tasksel tasks, desktop environments?  Particular use cases (server,
laptop, desktop)?  Or something else?

I'm grateful we've been given another 2 months to work on this.  The
init system debate might have come to a conclusion by then, and it could
have some bearing on this.  If some packages (potentially the whole
GNOME desktop environment) get a hard systemd dependency that would
somewhat reduce the scope of the port for us I think.

Regards,
--
Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org