Re: Bits from the release team (freeze time line)

On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 09:47:41PM +0100, Niels Thykier wrote:
> On 2013-12-27 21:08, Antonio Terceiro wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 06:08:03PM +0100, Niels Thykier wrote:
> >> We are happy to use results from other automated tests (like
> >> autopkgtest [DEP8]) in the same way, as soon as someone runs them on
> >> the entire archive and gives us a machine-readable list of the
> >> results.
> >>
> >> [DEP8] http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep8/
> >
> > I am playing with something for this. It's in a very initial stage, so
> > take it with a grain of salt:
> >
> > http://dep8.debian.net/
> >
> > Please have a look at http://dep8.debian.net/data/packages.json and let
> > me know what other information you would need there.
> >

> Hi Antonio,
>
> Thanks for looking into it.  At first glance, the exported json looks
> good!  I am a bit curious on how we will distinguish a "has-no-tests"
> from a "not-tested-yet" case.

My idea was not providing any data at all for packages that do not have
DEP-8 tests.

> Does your runner support retesting packages when a dependency is
> updated?  E.g. if a new version of APT is uploaded, will it schedule the
> tests for python-apt (assuming the latter has DEP-8 tests)[1]?  It is by
> no means a blocker, but I know there has been interest in the feature.

That was actually one of my initial assumptions, so the runner was
designed around this feature. It will run tests for a package again when
there is a new version of the package or of any package in it dependency
chain.

One concern I have, though: reusing your example, suppose there are new
versions of both Python and APT, and python-apt tests break. How would
we know which of them is to blame? Will both of them be blocked from
migrating to testing?

> Before we can integrate it, we will probably need some way of fetching
> it securely (e.g. via https or ssh).

no problem, it should be trivial to put https up.

--
Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org>