Re: php-mdb2: fix for bug#571702 in squeeze?

Thomas Goirand <thomas@goirand.fr> (08/05/2012):
> This has already been discussed in -devel and in the PEAR list. That's
> a mistake I did, and which will be fixed on next upload. I uploaded a
> new version because I thought someone requested it from me, but in
> fact, the package was already in Debian. Please ignore it, I will fix
> that on the next upload and restore a correct changelog.

Seeing such a thing makes me very sad.

> Note that anyway, the package needed a big refresh as it was
> unmaintained, even though marked as team maintained by the PEAR team.
> So the arm is mainly the changelog itself, but not much more.

Too bad that's the way we know if and when a bug has been fixed, in
which version, and whether a NMU (and its bug fixes) have been ACKed or
reverted.

> I haven't done that work yet, because I don't want to do the work, and
> then have the release team say no. I was asking if the proposed diff
> to the upstream code would be acceptable. But if you are saying that's
> ok, then I will do the work.

You really don't like following standard procedures, right? Dully noted.

> This is what I would have like to fix, because even a deprecation
> warning can be annoying (especially when producing stuff like XML
> documents where the warning breaks the integrity of such document).

That's probably because I don't know a thing about PHP, but I'd tend
to think the callers are (also) to be blamed if they can't handle those.

> > We froze this weekend, so it's certainly not OK for this point
> > release.
>
> Does this mean that I have to wait until the next point release is
> out, in the event that you agree for the fix?

Even if you think this change is totally harmless, I'd rather not see
the behaviour of a given library in stable change, at all. I'd rather
stick to considering targeted fixes for the callers, on a case by case
basis.

So, unless somebody feels fancy and wants to take it from here, that's
a “no” for me.

Mraw,
KiBi.