Re: php-mdb2: fix for bug#571702 in squeeze?

On 05/08/2012 06:35 PM, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> Hi,
>
> first things first: is it fixed in unstable? (I know you mentioned that
> in your mail, but let's see where a basic check leads me)

Yes. As I wrote, this was fixed upstream, and the diff is only a
backport of upstream fix for the issue which I believe Teodor did (I'm
not sure who's the author, but it looked correct to me).

> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/version.cgi?width=;info=1;absolute=0;fixed=php-mdb2%2F2.5.0b3-0.1;height=;found=php-mdb2%2F2.5.0b2-1;package=php-mdb2;format=png;collapse=1;ignore_boring=0
> looks very strange.
>
> And indeed, looking at the current source package in unstable, there's
> only a single entry in debian/changelog, what the hell?!

This has already been discussed in -devel and in the PEAR list. That's a
mistake I did, and which will be fixed on next upload. I uploaded a new
version because I thought someone requested it from me, but in fact, the
package was already in Debian. Please ignore it, I will fix that on the
next upload and restore a correct changelog.

Note that anyway, the package needed a big refresh as it was
unmaintained, even though marked as team maintained by the PEAR team. So
the arm is mainly the changelog itself, but not much more.

Anyway, the changelog would be of not much help here, because the only
thing you would see would be something like:

  * New upstream release.

which contains the change.

> You're supposed to send a source debdiff against the package currently
> in stable, properly versioned.

I haven't done that work yet, because I don't want to do the work, and
then have the release team say no. I was asking if the proposed diff to
the upstream code would be acceptable. But if you are saying that's ok,
then I will do the work.

> As far as I'm concerned, I can't judge the impact of that PHP thingy.

Let me explain quickly. Before, in PHP, we used to call functions like this:

$a=5;
foo(&$a);

then function foo could change the value of $a. But this has changed,
and doing this way is deprecated in PHP 5.3, and totally removed in PHP
5.4, with PHP yelling "call-time pass-by-reference". Now, we should do
this when declaring the function only, like this:

function foo(&$var){

This is what I would have like to fix, because even a deprecation
warning can be annoying (especially when producing stuff like XML
documents where the warning breaks the integrity of such document).

> We froze this weekend, so it's certainly not OK for this point release.

Does this mean that I have to wait until the next point release is out,
in the event that you agree for the fix?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)