Unblock request for dovecot

[CCs requested as I am not subscribed to the list.]

Dear RMs, I know the time is late and this is a long shot but I am requesting that the current version of dovecot 1:2.1.7-5 be unblocked for
testing because:

1. Since -2 (the current version in testing) we have fixed 16 bugs including 7 RC ones.

2. The package has been thoroughly tested by many people including several DDs. I am extremely confident that this version will be as stable if not more than the one currently in testing. (One silly typo was recently discovered (#693621) which I'd like to fix with your permission but it doesn't affect the operation of dovecot in any way so its not a big deal if you refuse.)

3. Dovecot has no reverse dependencies except dovecot-antispam which has been tested so even if some big problem were to be discovered, it would not disrupt the rest of the release.

4.  Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease.

Now, I'm sure your major concern will be the 8 patches that have been added since -2 considerably bloating the diff. The vast majority of that is due to the pigeonhole sieve/managesieve server which is basically a seperate upstream project which is patched into the dovecot source. Updating pigeonhole was recommended by the upstream author and necessary due to reports of segfaults (and possible attendant security implications.) Concerning the others:

fix-checkscript-segfault.patch

...is also related to sieve segfault issues.

chgrp-error.patch
default-mail_location.patch

...are needed to make dovecot policy compliant. Unfortunately there is a discrepancy between how we do things and how dovecot expects to work. I believe I have got things so that there will be as little aggravation to our users as possible but alas it is still > 0. (See #693114 for instance.)

hurd-compat.patch

...was provided by upstream at the request of our hurd porters.

mutf7-patch
utf8-namespace.patch

...also come from upstream and fix an error in how dovecot handles the IMAP protocol. Definitely needed on a production server.

ssl-cert-location.patch

...is part of moving dovecots default generated ssl certificates out of /etc/ssl.

tcpwrapper.patch

...adds tcpwrapper configuration. (Actual support was just an additional configure option in /debian/rules.)

So to sum up, yes there are a lot of changes and I do understand why they might not be considered appropriate at this stage of the freeze. And I do wish I could have got this all done a long time ago but real life intervened as it annoyingly does. Nevertheless I have tried my best to get this package to a place where we can be proud to call it part of a Debian stable release. I hope you will agree.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>