Re: RC-ness of incomplete copyright files

* Christian PERRIER (bubulle@debian.org) [121014 12:44]:
> Quoting Michael Gilbert (mgilbert@debian.org):
> > Hi,
> >
> > Jakub Wilk has been filing a lot of RC bugs on packages with
> > incomplete copyright files.  Some examples:
> > http://bugs.debian.org/690394
> > http://bugs.debian.org/690371
> > http://bugs.debian.org/690370
> >
> > Now, these are mostly easy fixes and of course in the end completeness
> > is useful, but with so many packages embedding so much code from
> > various sources, I think in the end we're going to find most of the
> > archive affected.  So, I'm wondering if the release team's opinion
> > concurs with serious severity, or if these can be downgraded to
> > important to avoid further delaying wheezy?
>

> Not wearing a release team hat, but it is my feeling that such deep
> nitpicking is certainly wished in the long term....but also helps very
> well in delaying the release of wheezy.
>
> No offense intended to Jakub's work, far from that. We certainly need
> people doing such archive-wide reviews of things that are often
> neglected.

Basically setting an bug to RC grade means: "It is better to delay the
release of Debian (or remove this package) then to ship as it is".

If the bug is already present in stable, an minor error in the copyright
file shouldn't mean that as we're not making anything worse. If the
bug is new, and it is an real issue (like the copyright file saying
"this code is public domain", but in reality it is GPL3), then it
sounds RC grade to me. If it is rather an minor glitch, then indeed it
still should be fixed, but it's not serious enough to stop the
release, i.e. the severity should be important.

(I had always translated "serious" with "we cannot do that", and
"important" with "we should be really ashamed". That worked very
well.)

Andi