Re: BinNMU changelog handling for Multi-Arch: same packages

Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org> writes:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 09:23:05 +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

>> I know that in the long term you're in favor of moving the changelog in
>> the package metadata and I agree with this plan. But IMO we must find
>> an interim solution in the mean time.

> Whatever solution ends up being chosen in the end (whether it's dropping
> the binNMU changelog, moving it to a separate file, or moving the whole
> changelog away, I don't hugely care), it's too late to make these
> changes for wheezy IMO.

My gut instinct is to agree.  Given the incomplete multiarch conversion,
it seems like we should just do a final consistency binNMU on all affected
packages right before the wheezy release so that they all match (I assume
it's possible to do that? if not, we could do a sourceful upload/NMU
through testing-proposed-updates) and call it good enough for wheezy.
Stable updates are unlikely to have this problem, since I believe binNMUs
are very rare inside stable.

Doing new feature and design work in dpkg at this point in the release
cycle doesn't seem like a good idea.

I think using the separate file approach makes sense for wheezy+1 if the
dpkg maintainers don't think that the move to package metadata will be
done in time.