BinNMU changelog handling for Multi-Arch: same packages

Hi Guillem,

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012, Guillem Jover wrote:
> I'll be doing a first push today. The remaning things I'll be finishing
> up next are at least the strings cleanup left out from the 1.16.4
> release, the cross-multiarch patches, part of the changelog binNMU
> solution, and some other multiarch related improvements.

So it looks like that the "part of the changelog binNMU solution"
was just the possibility to tag a changelog entry "binary-only"
with a keyword.

But that doesn't solve the release team's problem of having to schedule
bin-nmus for all arches for Multi-Arch: same.

I know that in the long term you're in favor of moving the changelog in
the package metadata and I agree with this plan. But IMO we must find
an interim solution in the mean time.

Here's a suggestion. Please share your thoughts:

1/ we modify dh_installchangelog to strip the binary-only changelog entry
   for Multi-Arch: same packages

   Some rough shell code to show the logic:

   if dpkg-parsechangelog | grep -q "^Binary-Only: yes"; then
       perl -i -ne '$found++ if /^\S/; print if $found >= 2;' $changelog
   fi

2/ we modify dpkg to allow co-installation of M-A: same packages which share the
   same source version regardless of the binary version

3/ we modify sbuild to add the required "binary-only=yes" in the binNMU
   changelog entries. Here's a sample header line:

   ftplib (3.1-1-9+b1) unstable; urgency=low, binary-only=yes

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Get the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/