Re: another FSO transition

Am 22.06.2012 21:02, schrieb Adam D. Barratt:
On Fri, 2012-06-22 at 18:45 +0200, Simon Busch wrote:
Its this one here we're talking about:
http://trac.freesmartphone.org/ticket/686

The bug causes the modem initialisation to fail on the GtA02, fsogsmd
will fall into a loop which causes 100 percent CPU usage: the device
becomes unusable right after starting up.

Is there an easy way of viewing the patch required to fix the bug?  From
the description available I'm confused as to why it would require
multiple ABI breaks (presumably, as there's multiple package name
changes) in order to resolve.

Ok, let me describe everything more in detail. I am part of the FSO packaging team but one of the core upstream developers too. The bug described above occurred right after we did some ABI related changes in 0.11. Due to the lack of time and the fact that we doesn't guarantee any ABI yet (but bumping ABI version with each release in respect of distributions like debian) we reverted the relevant changes, verified that the bug is fixed and did the bug fix release.

FSO is developed as a stack. All three mentioned components (libfsotransport, libgsm0710mux and fsogsmd) are part of the stack and all parts of the stack are released together omitting bug fixing releases. It's possible for users to use libraries of our stack in other programs but they have to live with the fact that there is no stable ABI yet.

I hope that helps to take your decision. If you need any more information please tell me.

regards,
Simon

--
Simon Busch - http://mm.gravedo.de/blog/