Re: The future (or non-future) of ia32-libs

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 08:18:03PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

> > May I suggest that upon upgrade, we have a debconf message telling
> > about it? We could add this in base-files or any essential package,
> > probably one with some debconf messages already in would be a better
> > pick. Instructions would show, IF ia32-libs old version is currently
> > installed
> > AND the --add-architecture i386 hasn't bee done.

> > I know we have release notes, but some don't know about them or would
> > simply not read them. A debconf message seem really appropriate IMO.
> > Something along with:

> Problem is that frontends will complain about ia32-libs being not
> upgradable and might suggest removing it instead of keeping it back way
> before that.

Why would they do that?  Has anyone seen this happening in practice?

The ia32-libs package has trivial dependencies, none of which should run
into conflicts on upgrade from squeeze to wheezy.  Some of the biarch
library packages that ia32-libs depends on *might* go away before wheezy
release, but none have yet.  So there's no reason for a frontend to remove
the ia32-libs package /at all/ on upgrade; it should be held back because
the dependencies of the new version of the package aren't satisfiable until
the package database is updated with knowledge of multiarch, but it
certainly shouldn't be removed.  At which point, the user just has to enable
multiarch, apt-get update, and do a second apt-get dist-upgrade pass.

I don't see why we would want to try any of the kludgy solutions being
discussed in this thread without evidence that the above can't be made to
work and kept working for release.  Then we just need to document this in
the release notes, which users ought to be reading anyway, and they can
complete the upgrade at their leisure.