Re: The future (or non-future) of ia32-libs

Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> writes:

> On 06/23/2012 02:18 AM, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> Problem is that frontends will complain about ia32-libs being not
>> upgradable and might suggest removing it instead of keeping it back way
>> before that. At the time base-file is upgraded ia32-libs and all other
>> 32bit stuff might already have been removed.
>
> Well, you wrote it would be held back, so I reacted upon the information
> you gave...

It has to be held back. But apt-get/aptitude might select a solution
where they do get removed rather then hold back many other packages.
I'm hoping it will be held back automatically without user intervention
but that might not happen.

> What mechanism would remove it? Is there any break / conflict somewhere
> that would do that?
>
> Thomas

No relevant breaks / conflicts in ia32-libs. But there might be breaks /
conflicts in other packages or simply versioned depends that make
upgrading foo impossible as long as the squeeze ia32-libs is installed.

I'm not aware that this will happen but I also haven't tested a squeeze
-> wheezy upgrade with 32bit stuff installed. Experiece has just shown
that on large upgrades packages are easily removed instead of held back
and given the large number of updates involved users often miss a
specific one being listed.

MfG
        Goswin