[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: Samba 3.6.6 due out July 2nd...



On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 21:31:04 +0200, Christian PERRIER wrote:

> Quoting Neil McGovern (neilm@debian.org):
> 
> > This would be too late for the freeze, which will be happening in June.
> 
> *that*,  I know..:-)
> 
> > > So, I would like to pre-ask for a freeze exception for samba in case
> > > wheezy is frozen before July 2nd. Of course, it would be better to do
> > > that with a diff, but:
> > > - I don't have it
> > > - it will be quite big (as I said, many bugfixes).
> > > 
> > 
> > Is there a pre-release or rc candidate that you could upload before the
> > freeze?
> 
> If only. But, no. This is not Samba Team policy to do beta and RC
> releases before they ship a stable update. Indeed, their one and only
> release manager just cannot afford that.
> 
Well they'd presumably get more testing that way, meaning better
releases.  The release process doesn't need to be extremely heavy, it's
"build a tarball and put it out somewhere for people to play with".  Or
you could upload a snapshot of the stable branch to sid.

> > > Given the very low history of regression in Samba 3.6.* release cycle,
> > > I think it's a low-risk exception.
> > > 
> > 
> > One of the main issues would be the size of the diff we need to review,
> > hence the suggestion above!
> 
> The size of the diff would be the same. The only difference being that
> what I would upload right now (if an RC release existed) would *not*
> be reviewed.
> 
But it would get two weeks testing in sid that it's not getting right
now.  Which means if nothing else it would make us more confident in a
decision either way.

> Frankly speaking....I would call that just "cheating"..:-). I just
> prefer being honest and ask honestly for a freeze exception, in
> advance, for what I think will be very low risk.
> 
In which case you're way more likely to get a 'no'.

Cheers,
Julien

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: Digital signature


Reply to: