RFC: syslog-ng 3.3.6 & ivykis in Wheezy

Hi!

Since the freeze is approaching, I would like to ask for a freeze
exception beforehand, to be able to push a new version of syslog-ng into
Wheezy, one that instead of embedding a forked & heavily patched version
of ivykis (a third party library), would use the separately packaged,
upstream version of the library.

I'm writing to this list due to two reasons: first, the syslog-ng
release will likely happen after the freeze started (I'm guessing ~2-3
weeks from now). This is a bug-fix release, and I believe (with both my
upstream and DD hats on) that it's a safe release to include in Wheezy,
and more useful for users than 3.3.5 would be (3.3.6 will include a
couple of things that make it much easier to use syslog-ng on a
systemd-enabled platform, along with a couple of bug-fixes, including
one for #674099).

Second, libsyslog-ng-dev currently ships with ivykis headers, which
libivykis-dev will want to ship too. The headers are not API compatible,
either.

Due to the file conflict, libivykis-dev will have to Conflict/Replace
libsyslog-ng-dev (<< 3.3.6~) (and a future syslog-ng upload will stop
shipping those files, more on that later), so until such time when an
updated syslog-ng is uploaded, libsyslog-ng-dev and libivykis-dev will
not be co-installable.

There are no reverse deps, nor reverse build-deps of libsyslog-ng-dev,
and I know of no user of it outside of Debian, either, so this part
should be safe too.

I discussed this briefly with the Debian syslog-ng maintainer (Laszlo
Boszormenyi, Cc'd), and he proposed that once an ivykis release happens,
I upload ivykis to unstable ASAP, so it gets through NEW. Once it did,
he'd upload a 3.3.6 preview package to experimental, that builds against
upstream ivykis.

This experimental upload can be done before the freeze (assuming ivykis
gets released this week, and the package goes through NEW within a few
days), and an upload to unstable would be done when 3.3.6 is released,
most probably post-freeze.

At that time, I would appreciate if we'd get a freeze exception, and
syslog-ng 3.3.6 could migrate to testing, and be part of wheezy, along
with ivykis.

Thanks in advance!

--
=|8],