Re: RFC: syslog-ng 3.3.6 & ivykis in Wheezy

Hi!

As far as I remember, I have not received any response to this yet, so
I'll give a short update:

Gergely Nagy <algernon@balabit.hu> writes:

> Since the freeze is approaching, I would like to ask for a freeze
> exception beforehand, to be able to push a new version of syslog-ng into
> Wheezy, one that instead of embedding a forked & heavily patched version
> of ivykis (a third party library), would use the separately packaged,
> upstream version of the library.

I still wish to do this, and the new syslog-ng 3.3.6 will be a bug fix
release over 3.3.5, with a reasonably small diff. (Well, not so small,
becuase migrating from forked ivykis to upstream adds quite a bit of
search & replace noise, but apart from that!).

> I'm writing to this list due to two reasons: first, the syslog-ng
> release will likely happen after the freeze started (I'm guessing ~2-3
> weeks from now).

I now estimate it to next week, there's only two bugs left to fix + some
packaging things - but it is certain that a release will not happen
before the freeze.

> There are no reverse deps, nor reverse build-deps of libsyslog-ng-dev,
> and I know of no user of it outside of Debian, either, so this part
> should be safe too.

This is still the case, and ivykis 0.30 is in unstable, 0.29 is in
testing already (syslog-ng needs >= 0.30, but I see no reason why it
wouldn't migrate).

> This experimental upload can be done before the freeze (assuming ivykis
> gets released this week, and the package goes through NEW within a few
> days), and an upload to unstable would be done when 3.3.6 is released,
> most probably post-freeze.

Technically, an upload of syslog-ng to experimental may be possible, but
this close to the freeze, and with me wanting 3.3.6 in wheezy, I don't
really see the point.

> At that time, I would appreciate if we'd get a freeze exception, and
> syslog-ng 3.3.6 could migrate to testing, and be part of wheezy, along
> with ivykis.

Ivykis appears to be fine as far as the freeze is concerned, but seeing
as syslog-ng 3.3.6 will not make it before the freeze date, I'd like to
ask for a freeze exception.

--
|8],
with his syslog-ng upstream hat on