Re: What does Transition Status "uknown" mean?

On Sat, Apr 07, 2012 at 01:32:51PM -0500, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> With respect to the transition trackers, e.g. [1], parameters are
> listed to determine "Good", and "Bad" dependencies.  However, the
> dependency package listing has three categories: Good, Bad, and
> Unknown.  I don't understand what the third category means.
>
> Presumably, a package can be categorized by looking at its current
> dependency status.  I used to imagine that this was a long process and
> "Unknown" simply meant that a given package had not yet been
> processed.  But I've been looking at the boost transition page for
> weeks and the number of Unknowns has not dropped to zero.

Unknowns are packages that do not inherit a runtime dependency on boost (i.e.
in the binary package's dependency field), despite having a build-dep on boost.
C++ packages that rely heavily on templates such as Boost are tricky, because
we cannot see immediately if they have been built against the right package.
Basically we'd need to look at the build logs to infer that.  (In some way
Built-Using could be helpful there, even if it's not for source compliance.)

That's why those are not trackable through that page, and way Adam said that he
scheduled those packages which were not rebuilt after the change was done.
They are irrelevant for the transition and it's well possible that some of the
binNMUs fail and we don't get the updated binaries into the archive.  (To pick
up the template fixes, for instance.)

Maybe that does shed a bit more light onto the issue.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern