Re: What does Transition Status "uknown" mean?

On Sat, 2012-04-07 at 21:00 +0200, Mehdi Dogguy wrote:
> On 04/07/2012 08:32 PM, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> > In the case of Boost, much of the package is header-only libraries,
> > so the Good and Bad categories do not apply.  How is a transition
> > managed when most of the dependencies are Unknown?  Are the Unknowns
> >  mainly ignored and transition is declared done when there are no
> > longer any Bad packages?
> >
> Yes, almost. Packages marked "unknown" do not influence the migration.
> We tend to ignore them most of the time (I beleive), but we check if
> those package have been built recently to know whether we should binNMU
> them for the transition.

Although we generally ignore "unknown" packages, as you mentioned there
are many cases where those packages do use boost during the build
process but there isn't a resultant run-time dependency.  At least for
the binNMUs I've scheduled so far for that transition, I've also
included "unknown" packages where the date of the last build was before
the boost-defaults upload; that means that cases like vtk show up in the
rebuilds (along with a few other FTBFS which don't appear to be
boost-related).

Regards,

Adam