Re: SAT-Britney status and howto

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 09.08.2011, 11:33 +0200 schrieb Philipp Kern:
> > > This one is correct.
> > > So I think britney's rule that blocks out-of-date binaries to appear in testing
> > > should be implemented in sat-britney.  It should be configurable to allow (libs
> > > oldlibs) in, though.  Would that be possible?
> >
> > Probably. Can you give an exact definition of that requirements: „A
> > source package may not be in testing if...“
> >
> > Bonus points if the definition can be verified with regard to the
> > current _state_ of testing and unstable, without talking about changes.
>
> A package that gets into testing should have the same set of binary packages as
> unstable, unless the additional binaries are in section libs or oldlibs[1].  A
> naive thought would be "if this package would be in testing => binaries foo and
> bar, that are no longer built in unstable, cannot be in testing too".

I’m still trying to wrap my head around the problem to come up with a
precise formal definition, given a two set of binary packages (triples
name/version/arch, one for unstable, one for testing) an a function (or
right-unique, left-total relation) “builtBy” mapping binary packages to
source packages (tuple name/version).

Things get more complicated because „does no longer build in unstable“
ist not a simple observation but rather an analysis such as „Take the
name of the source of the package. Look for the newest version of a
source package of that name. See if there are any binaries built from
that source on the current architecture. Check if any of them have the
same name.“ But maybe this is not required, old versions of packages of
the same name cannot exist in testing (one-binary-per-arch requirement).

Also, we are looking for a constraint, e.g. a statement about what may
not happen.

If b2 now accepts hints for packages from libs/oldlibs, maybe the number
of false positive from SAT-Britney will drop anyways, given that with
other sections, it is rare to rename one binary while other packages
still depend on the old name.

Greetings,
Joachim

--