Re: pu: package apt/0.8.10.3+squeeze1

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 20:06, Adam D. Barratt <adam@adam-barratt.org.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-04-11 at 15:18 +0200, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
>> We would like to update APT to a new version. The
>> diff is attached. As the BTS is overloaded, I am
>> sending it directly to the mailing list.
>
> I suspect the bug would have arrived by now.  In any case:
>
> +  * apt-pkg/contrib/fileutl.cc:
> +    - reorder the loaded filesize bytes for big endian (Closes: #612986)
>
> Do we know when this got broken?  It seems rather surprising that no one
> at all would have noticed pdiffs being broken on at least three
> architectures (mips, powerpc and sparc in squeeze, plus hppa in sid).

pdiffs aren't affected in stable as they don't use FileSize. That was an
addition after squeeze release, but made the bug very visible as pdiffs
are enabled by default.

Affected is the Acquire::GzipIndexes option (don't uncompress Packages
files and co but use them directly: Saves space, decreases performance).
Further more the method is used to check that the size of a file is not zero
in various places, so we have just luck that zero is the same everywhere…

Best regards

David Kalnischkies