Re: Number of berkeley db packages reduction

On 04/05/2011 02:55 PM, Ondřej Surý wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to coordinate reduction of BDB packages since I took the
> unhappy job (as I could expect) to maintain BDB in Debian after Clint
> have orphaned them.
>
> The main issue which I have encountered (in cyrus-imapd) is that the
> change from 4.x to 5.x introduces code changes, because the packages
> check for 4 + something version number. The fix is easy (I can help
> with that if needed), but it still some work which needs to be done.

In principal the reduction of bdb packages is a very good idea! Though
care should be taken to better choose which versions are shipped:
openldap for instance really needs a fast one.

Best would probably be to have one of each major user (like cyrus-imapd
and openldap, but maybe also some others) of bdb involved in testing new
packages before they get uploaded to unstable? So both the build and
usage can be tested before random packages start to use it.

Cheers

Luk