Re: Number of berkeley db packages reduction

2011/4/5 Luk Claes <luk@debian.org>:
> On 04/05/2011 02:55 PM, Ondřej Surý wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to coordinate reduction of BDB packages since I took the
>> unhappy job (as I could expect) to maintain BDB in Debian after Clint
>> have orphaned them.
>>
>> The main issue which I have encountered (in cyrus-imapd) is that the
>> change from 4.x to 5.x introduces code changes, because the packages
>> check for 4 + something version number. The fix is easy (I can help
>> with that if needed), but it still some work which needs to be done.
>
> In principal the reduction of bdb packages is a very good idea! Though
> care should be taken to better choose which versions are shipped:
> openldap for instance really needs a fast one.
>
> Best would probably be to have one of each major user (like cyrus-imapd
> and openldap, but maybe also some others) of bdb involved in testing new
> packages before they get uploaded to unstable? So both the build and
> usage can be tested before random packages start to use it.

Fortunatelly the cyrus-imapd uses berkeley db no more as a default
(from cyrus-imapd-2.4 onwards). The only thing left is migration from
2.2 to 2.4.

I agree that openldap people should be definitely involved. Maybe
subversion as well?

O.
--
Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org>