Re: Squeeze updates for ia32-libs{,-gtk}

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 07:26:59PM +0100, Philipp Kern wrote:

> > > The upload should go through unstable, please ping me after it happened.
> > It happened.
>
> Both unblocked.

> > > ia32-libs-core is a pain, though.  It has a popcon of 0, and I'm pretty
> > > sure that nobody actually tested its operation, not even the maintainers.
> > >
> > > I wonder if we should remove any traces of ia64 in the ia32* stuff instead.
> > Yeah, but it's too late in the freeze for that now, I think?
>
> I don't know.  Given that there's no RC bug: maybe it is too late.
> *sigh*

fyi, I ran a quick test on ia64.

The current bits just segfault:

dannf@zx6000:~$ file hello
hello: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.18, stripped
dannf@zx6000:~$ dpkg -l | grep ia32
ii  ia32-libs                              20110117                    ia32 shared libraries for use on amd64 and ia64 systems
ii  ia32-libs-core                         20101207                    core ia32 shared libraries for use on ia64 systems
dannf@zx6000:~$ ./hello
Segmentation fault

I found that just calling the linker segfaulted:

dannf@zx6000:~$ /lib32/ld-2.11.2.so
Segmentation fault

I tried copying over the latest ld from an i386/sid system (2.11.2-8),
and that seemed to improve things:

dannf@zx6000:~$ sudo cp lib/ld-2.11.2.so /lib32/
dannf@zx6000:~$ ./hello
./hello: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
dannf@zx6000:~$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib32 ./hello
Hello, world!